Venue: Mini Auditorium, Far Eastern University – Manila
Time: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Over the years, we have witnessed the emergence of remarkable changes in local government leaderships, and wider citizens’ engagement and participation in local governance, which, to a certain degree, can be attributed to the implementation of the Local Government Code of 1991.
On the 25th year Anniversary of the LG Code, the DILG, in partnership with the Far Eastern University (FEU) will be holding an inter-university debate on local governance in order to gather students’ insights and recommendations to existing issues in local governance which can be used as reference for proposed amendments in the Code.
This activity will also serve as a venue to gauge the pulse of the youth about the proposal of shifting the country's form of government from presidential to parliamentary as espoused by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte.
Format: Asian Parliamentary
Participants: 24 debaters (8 teams with 3 members each)
Debate Rounds: Eliminations, Semifinals, Grand Finals
Adjudicators & Facilitators: 12 members
Atty. Jesus Facis III
Faculty, Department of Political Science
Far Eastern University
Mr. Peterson Poon
College of Law
University of the Philippines
Ms. Rose Lyn Rabanera-Bocato
Labor Relations Officer
Patron & Limpin Law Offices
- Only 1 team per invited university is eligible to compete. The team shall be endorsed by the university's official debate society.
- Each team shall register by filling out the online registration (http://bit.ly/DILGDebate)
- School ID or certificate of registration shall be presented during the tournament.
- Participants should come on time to avoid delays. A roll call of debaters will be held 5 minutes before the release of motions.
- Teams are given 30 minutes to prepare for the given motion.
- Each speaker will have 7 minutes to deliver his/her speech and a grace period of 30 seconds.
- After the opposition whip, each side will have 4 minutes to reply. Reply begins with the opposition side.
- Points of information or POIs are raised during constructive speeches of each side, after the first minute and before the last. Each accepted POIs can only be delivered for 15 seconds.
- Adjudicators will be given 20 minutes to decide.
- The English language shall be used.
Cash Prizes and Special Awards
Champion - Php 15,000.00
Runner-up - Php 10,000.00
Trophies and medals
For inquiries, please contact: Mr. Joeven R. Castro at firstname.lastname@example.org